How I 'Learn' to Write

Lately, I've been reading a lot of my old stuff and the cringe that comes with it is beyond comprehension.

Do I laugh at it? Definitely. Complain? Like clockwork. Am I embarrassed? Perhaps.

But will I push it out of my hard drive, wishing Google would do the same, all the while cursing myself for writing it in the first place to earn me the blushes from all those who've read it?


I don't think so.

Let's rephrase that. I won't.

The reason (and it may be a bit cheesy) - I've learned from it.

Also, none of that stuff was written with bad intentions, or to offend any person. The message was supposed to be positive and inspiring, about some things that I find important. Some of the works were light, fun-focused and all in good spirits.

The writing, however, was repugnant. And it was never about the vocabulary. I sure do love a cool (exotic?) word occasionally but I believe it's better to keep things simpler for the readers.

I found that my uncanny affection for adverbs and their grasp over my mind (plus the heart and body and soul) has been detrimental to the things I write. But I'd be nitpicking if I'd blame them.

Consistency, on the other hand, deserves a look in for everything wrong with my posts.

Despite reading hundreds of blogs (and articles) that advise writing regularly, it is the one practice that I haven't been able to replicate in my lifestyle. The 'quality over quantity' debate has been my go-to excuse turning a blind eye to what was right in front of me.

Writing, I would say, is as much an exercise as it is passion (or hobby or whatever you'd like to call it). The takeaway - you would only get better with time and practice.

Regular writing (or anything for that matter) allows you to be in command of the basics, learn every trick and technique and identify the one style that is ideal for you. Simple as.

The words that I write today are not gold but they are certainly better than what I wrote four years ago, when I started this blog. And that was better compared to what I used to write during school.

Plus, I'm certain that I would feel awkward when I re-read this post next year.