Conversations 14 - The Perfect Date

At the restaurant, with that grin on your face and some food in front of us. Two of your friends were staring me down as I wiped the food off of my mouth.

There were a few things that I realised that day. One, that a girl won't meet a stranger unless she is accompanied by her friend. Two, when one tries too much, they create a memory that will haunt them for the rest of their lives. Especially when that girl you met stays around.

Honestly, it was nowhere near the perfect date anyway. First of all, you were late. While I have adapted to this habit of yours, it was annoying. Not that it mattered at that moment. The only thing that I had in my mind that I was meeting you. After seven months.

Secondly, you met a few people that you shouldn't have. I thought I could talk you out of a bad mood that followed, but it wasn't until your friends showed up that you felt anything close to normal.

That, my love, was heartbreaking for someone who was trying to be special for you.

Now that I think about it, it was that moment which destroyed my confidence for the rest of the day and my behaviour reflected that very well.

The excessive focus on table manners, the 'smaller than small talk' conversations and the 'guardian' behaviour was all I could manage of the many things that I had planned.

The only thing good from that day was that we got a story out of it.