Afraid 15 - More Afraid


I know that my doctor is conspiring against me. And I understand why. I'm the owner of a multi-million dollar corporation and if he manages to prove that I'm crazy, he will probably get a huge sum of money from the people who want me out. But I'm not going to fall for any of that. I've been dealing with this for quite a while and he's nowhere near breaking me.

The only thing I don't like about this is that it's my own brother who has turned against me. In hindsight, we were always at odds and him being a medical professional does stack the odds against me.

In my opinion, being a doctor gives a lot of power in his hands. And a doctor with a grudge against you can be devastating, personally and professionally.

The seeds of differences between my brother and I were sown since we were kids and the distance has only grown with time. His not showing up at my college graduation was the final nail in the coffin. According to my mother, he'd left the house following a spat we had. I don't really remember when it had happened. In fact, I can't recall if it actually happened in the first place.

Anyway, I came in contact with him a few months ago. I had been consistently suffering from migraines for a couple of months and I wanted to have it analysed.

The doctor had a familiar name and I identified him as my elder brother as soon as I saw him. According to him, I have changed a lot in fifteen years, but he did manage to recognise me. The following days were the first time when we actually behaved like brothers - discussing about each others' lives and then some. Honestly, I couldn't handle the missing friction between us, but at the same time, I was glad it was gone.

But good things don't really last, do they? It was a month ago when I met his family for dinner, his wife seemed surprised to learn about me. And later, I overheard them discussing about my being his 'patient'. I found out that she wasn't exactly happy about how things were going but he calmed her down, informing her about how rich I was and that he has to do this.

I was hurt. My mother has always told me about how 'cruel' the world can be but I never imagined that my own brother will plot against me, especially after being away for years.


***

As I waited my turn to see him at his polyclinic, I thought about the things I could say - about his cheating on me, his cunningness and how he continues to hurt me. My eyes had welled up with tear but I didn't want to appear weak. I used both the 'no-breathing' and deep breaths to calm myself down.

But even that couldn't help for long. I snapped as soon as he spoke to me and he had to call the security to calm me down. That wasn't helpful either but one of my 'ill-timed' migraines allowed the personnel to take control of me. I don't remember much after that, as I quickly faded.


***

When I woke up, I found myself strapped on a hospital bed. He was sitting next to me and was about to speak when I started cussing at him. He called another doctor and an orderly to help him calm me down. They injected me with a drug to sleep and just as I was beginning to fade, I heard his voice, "he's a case of schizophrenia".