What Makes Me Special

Everyone wishes to explore their strengths and weaknesses, for that will help them improve and do better for themselves and others. Sadly, this exploration of the inner self is cut short through stereotyping, bullying and discrimination. 'What makes me special' is the story of four high school students, who are looking for an answer to the question...



'What makes me special?'
is what everyone is searching the answer to,
but then, there's nothing better than being yourself.
There's your answer, but only a few know.

"Holiday has not really been my thing,
'cause I spend all my time working.
It all began when I was disowned,
but this, actually, helped me grow.
Hardworking and independent are the keywords for me.
But that doesn't help much when you are bullied.
Some people just don't like a different peer,
and the actions that follow have injected me with fear."

"What makes me special?"
he repeated the question I'd asked.
In a hurry he was, as he rushed 
through the answer. This is what Ben said,

"At least I don't wear shades inside,
Or take up stupid fights.
At least I don't cheat on my work,
And shy away from my duties.

I'm the underdog who's getting up,
becoming a hound from a little pup."

"It's an everyday thing, the guys behaving enchanted,
as I make my way, between the classes.
That's of course, responded by my weak smile.
High school is, after all, about style.
There's nothing more wonderful than being the popular girl.
But there are times I feel scared like hell,
when someone features more evil intentions.
With things like these, I doubt my actions."

"What makes me special?"
she repeated the question I'd asked.
Confident she was, as she gave 
the answer. This is what Kelly said,

"Of course it is my good looks,
but no one knows what I go through.
The dumb blond, I've been stereotyped.
'cause nobody knows, my love to read and write.

I'm the disgraced diva of high school,
always trying to not be the fool."

"Bookworm is what I'm best known as,
but that is natural when you always top the class.
It is not that I don't like the feel,
but being alone is part of the deal.
There are times I want to take off my glasses,
and let everyone know that I'm not one-dimensional.
There might be someone who likes me for me,
but talking about it would tag me a wannabe." 

"What makes me special?"
she repeated the question I'd asked.
Smart and slowly she went 
on with her answer. This is what Ava said,

"I'm the typical girl next door,
with books scattered all around the floor.
All I want is a good future,
how does that make me an exotic creature?

I believe I'm not wrong when I say,
I love to work, and I'm not allowed to play."

"I'm the one you would term as the nerd.
There's an electronic hum to all my words.
Anything computers, is my zone of brilliance,
But as the 'dude', I don't stand much chance.
It's not just me, but a friend too,
who's been bullied, by the so-called 'dudes'.
Like every story, there's a girl in this as well,
but me and her, are at a completely different level.

"What makes me special?"
he repeated the question I'd asked.
In a weak and stuttering voice 
he gave the answer. This is what Nick said,

"I'm the high standard tech-freak,
with an exciting social life, virtually.
That is unlike the world in reality,
where all I do is squeal.

Looking for love, searching for respect,
that is pretty much all about me fact."

The everyday voices I hear and things I see, 
The everyday actions I do and the people I meet. 
All of it leads me to wonder,
'what makes me special?'

It is not about how I look or how they appear
'cause on the inside the differences seemingly blur.
The things I do, for myself and others,
is what makes me remembered.

'What makes me special?'
is what everyone is searching the answer to,
but then, there's nothing better than being yourself.
There's your answer, but only a few know.